It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Matt Hyper V question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:14 pm 
Urban L337

So I've got my 1st 2008R2 Hyper-V server in place. I moved a VHD from VS2005 to the new server, and said create new machine - use existing disk - and it booted up just fine, but theres no network connectivity. I have 2 gb HP nics teamed together. The OS has net connection, but the VM doesn't.

I'm in the process of creating a NEW vhd from the Hyper V console to see if this changes. All the settings are the same between the two. And holy shit my new Virtual Server is shit fast. It's got 8 3gb/s SAS 10k rpm drives in a raid 50. 2 core2quad 2.5 processors, 24gb of triple channel DDR3 10666 ram. IT just installed a new OS of 2008r2 on a VHD in the time it took me to type this up - holy sheet its fast!

Post subject: Re: Matt Hyper V question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:16 pm 
Urban L337

Well it worked using a newly created VM from Hyper V, but the import from VS2005 does not work. I assume it's something in the config, b/c the one from VS2005 wont install the integration services and capture the mouse either. Maybe I'll start the config over..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

I can send a long screenshots of our network setup if you need it. I've had some network issues as well going from 2K5 (or even just Virtual PC vhds). I don't know this for sure but I think the network settings are embedded in the vhd file somewhere so that when you go from one environment to another it borks. I haven't done 2K5 to 2K8 in a while but I did do VPC to 2K8 a few months ago and had a similar prob. I ended up just running it on my local machine.

One thing I'll mention though is to be careful making changes to the Virtual Network as it will mess the host network connections as well. We got booted out of our server for a few hours because we were changing the subnet of the virtual network adapters and it changed the settings for the server's actual network adapter. That is one thing that has changed from 2K5 to 2K8 for the worse I think. I used to be able to make any change to the virtual network and it just "worked".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:24 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Killer wrote:
Well it worked using a newly created VM from Hyper V, but the import from VS2005 does not work. I assume it's something in the config, b/c the one from VS2005 wont install the integration services and capture the mouse either. Maybe I'll start the config over..

yeah I'm pretty sure there is embedded config info in the vhd that doesn't get updated. Thats my best guess honestly, I haven't had time or a need to look into it further. I've just created new ones myself too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:34 pm 
Urban L337

I guess it doesn't matter - I'm going to have to make all new VMs anyways as 2008R2 can only be installed as a 64bit os, and my 2008 VMs are all 32bit. So I don't know why i'm even bothering, when I can't upgrade the VM OS. 2K8R2 HyperV can host 2k8r2 VMs as a 64 bit OS.

Oh well. Guess... I got some work cut out for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:53 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Wait, R2 forces the OS of the VMs to be 32bit? Ours aren't, in fact are VMs can't be because our software doesn't quite work right in 64bit OS environment. I've ran all the latest updates to the server unless this is something I'd have to uninstall/reinstall to get. You sure that isn't just a setting to change somewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:00 pm 
Urban L337

No 2008R2 ONLY comes in 64bit. They did not make x86 data bits of 2008R2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:06 pm 
Urban L337

And as far as your connection problem you had - you probably dont have a NIC just dedicated to the Host OS management system. If you have a nic dedicated to the host, and not integrated with any VM nics you should be just fine. Because then any network changes you make in HyperV are only touching the HyperV integrated NICS, and not your host nic. I've learned you need to jam in as many NICS in a VM box as possible. Right now I have 3 dual port nics in my box for a total of 6. I put them in teams of 2 - so I Have 3 teams for all the VMs. Then I have one seperate dedicated NIC for the server - that has no intergation for HyperV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 am 
Urban L337

SO I got everything up and moved over now to my HyperV box. But I just had a general question on that because my old Virtual Server 2005 box used to run at 30-40% utilization CPU & Disk (8 guests). Now on the new box - with HyperV (8guests) It won't ever go above 1%. I don't know if it's HyperV is that much better, or the new box is just that much more powerful, or a combination of both things. I just can't even seem to get the new HyperV host box to break a sweat. It laughs at me when I have it do more work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:36 am 
]BoS[ Leader

I have noticed that with my VMs too although mine are a bad case as they run software that doesn't pull to much CPU usage anyway.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]