It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: New Motherboard, Processor, and RAM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 am 
]BoS[ Member

Hey guys I'm in the process of just rebuilding my rig completely i have a PSU and a GPU already. What I am looking for is some advice as far as picking the parts I'm going to order. I don't have any idea as far as picking a motherboard so any advice I'll. Dickbag latex, said I should get an ATX board but what processor should I get as well and my RAM. Just send me something or comment here I'll more than likely read it.

Post subject: Re: New Motherboard, Processor, and RAM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 am 
]BoS[ Leader

I'd dig through the Products forum a bit to see what people have bought recently. We had two or three guys just build new rigs not too long ago for BF3. Here are a few that I modeled my wishlist from:

Intel
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2912
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3110

or if you want AMD...
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3171

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:45 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Go Intel for the proc. i7 2600k/2700k for the better ones. i5 2500k/2550k if you want midrange. Keep in mind that Intel is releasing new procs that run on a different socket so if you are looking at the long run you may want to look at that.

Mobo: I am a big Asus fan. Barring that I like Gigabyte boards. One of the best boards available for the i7/i5 procs is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790, but if you are looking for another brand look for socket LGA1155 for the i7/i5 and LGA2011 for the next gen stuff.

Memory: I don't have a preferred memory. I typically go for the cheapest at the speed I am looking for in a brand that I recognize. Kingston/Corsair/OCZ/Muskin/Patriot/G.Skill/Crucial/PNY. I think I have used almost all of those. Make sure it has a lifetime warranty and a lower CAS speed is better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:57 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

I think the first question that needs to be answered is what the budget is. How much are you willing to spend?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 pm 
]BoS[ Member

My budget is about $500 I can go a little over but not by much. Since this technically my first time building a rig I don't really have a clue picking for parts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

I haven't researched motherboards since I built my current rig in June last year, but Dagger's recommendation looks pretty good. Ever since Abit went under I've been exclusively buying Asus motherboards.

Here's what I'd go with without having looked into the Asus board that Dagger linked:

($299.99) CPU - Intel Core i7 2600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115071

($194.99) Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131790

($49.99) RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600, C9 (pick a color)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 0-%20%2450

For a total of $544.97. A little bit over your $500 budget, but well worth the extra cash for the i7 2600 and the solid motherboard from Asus.

As Dagger mentioned, the lower the latency on your RAM the better. Personally I don't think you will see that much of a difference between, say, C9 and C7 these days. Where you're going to see insane speed boosts is on SSD's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
]BoS[ Member

oh yeah one more question do I need a new solid state drive with this because I was just planning on using the HDD I have on my desktop now since its 1 TB and I'm not to sure is there's a SSD in here to begin with haven't really checked yet what all I have in here since all I've done is swap a few parts here and there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

You'd probably know if you had an SSD. Who made your current computer?

SSD's are worth the money if you have it to spend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Lets just say my current computer was some cheap $300 off the floor at frys with some crap dual core and integrated graphics. Ive added a new PSU and GPU but at this point I'm ready to build up a new one.

Its an eMachine Et1331-45 and reading the specs no I don't have an SSD. Because it doesn't come with one and I know for a fact I haven't put one in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 am 
]BoS[ Member

Lol Xenethyl you linked the same board I suggested :)

It doesn't look like Newegg has the 2600k anymore. The "k" version indicates that it is an unlocked processor that you can overclock. Not necessary if you don't intend to overclock, but that is why it is the preferred version.

And yeah, an SSD was the best single component computer upgrade I have ever made.

edit: yeah they do http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070 $324.99. I always get my procs from Microcenter though http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354587 $279.99 for the same proc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Dagger2b wrote:
Lol Xenethyl you linked the same board I suggested :)

You didn't read my post. :bleh:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]