It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Built a new computer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:50 am 
]BoS[ Member

Hey guys,

Built a new computer for my mother. It's a mini-itx mobo with intel atom dual core processor (has four threads). I have no fans cooling it and it doesn't feel warm. The mini-itx boards with intel atom processors are known to run super cool and use very low amounts of power. I found under full load I only use about 30-35w of power. The only issue is that the temperature gauges are off on the motherboard, not providing an accurate reading. This was known to be a problem with the said mobo before I bought the computer, but does anyone know if this would be a killer issue going forward? Anyone know if there would be a fix, and if it would be software/hardware related?

This computer is sweet though, runs fast as anything for internet/basic office applications/streaming video. It's not high-definition but it's perfect for my Mom, who it was for. The case itself was 13" x 8" x 5". I personally think its crazy. The best part : bought it all including mouse/keyboard for under $300.00. This includes a 500gb hdd and a 24x dvdr, and 2gb of RAM. Assembly was easy, it made me want to build another one of these suckers!

Post subject: Re: Built a new computer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:22 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Nice man, sounds cool!

The temp problem could be fixed by a BIOS update, but the best they could do is offset whatever the sensors are reading to make the reported values closer to what they should be (unless there's a bug in the temp calculation code that they could fix). I've never heard of a company supplying new sensors, so I think a hardware fix is out of the question.

It's probably not a huge issue, but I wouldn't rely on the alarm settings in the BIOS that warn you about fan failure and overheating. Other than that the sensors shouldn't really matter.

Post subject: Re: Built a new computer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:54 pm 
]BoS[ Member

Appreciate it Fox. Amazingly the atom processors do not require a fan and require no cooling, which is pretty neat. It makes me excited to see what the future holds if they can pull this kind of stuff off.

Two more finals, one Monday and one Tuesday and then I'm done for 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to get back and start pwning shit!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]