It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: AMD vs Intel?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 am 
Urban L337

I'm having trouble distinguishing the differences between these new processors out. I have a socket LGA775 and I think I will upgrade to this processor when the prices come down next year (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115041).

But I was just looking over the new core i7 from Intel and notice its about the same price but the specs seem the same or less in comparison (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115202). What makes that processor so great? I also read something about a triple core processor from AMD and Intel but this one is quadcore right?

And then I saw AMD's competition to the core i7 and it's over $100 cheaper!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103674
Which processor is supreme and do you think we will see processors with more than 4 cores in the near future for desktop machines?

Post subject: Re: AMD vs Intel?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:00 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Generally the AMD uses more power which uses more electricity and requires you to use a larger power supply. This may be a non issue due to the fact that you will probably be using a 700+ watt power supply anyway.... Also I have found that AMD processors run hotter. I can not tell you this is the case for these two that you are comparing but it used to be the case. AMD also will be cheaper because they do not spend as much in marketing. AMD is a value processor and I have never had issues. I also have never had any issues with Intel. Intel seems like they are more user friendly with updates and such but it is all based on personal preference. I have built 10 computers with AMD and 12 with Intel... all of them are still running strong to this day!

Do you like Ford or Chevy?

I would tell you to flip a coin. I currently have an Intel Processor.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm 
Urban L337

My first build was an AMD and now it is an Intel. Both choices were based on performance per dollar. I was just wondering which of these cpu's is best and why.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:18 am 
AMD allows you to get very high performance in law budget. Intel has the most powerful CPUs which run cooler and use less power, provided you're willing to pay a bit more. Intel's CPUs are better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:21 am 
]BoS[ Member

I guess to get technical, Intel's performance per instruction set is greater clock for clock than AMD. However, over the years AMD has seriously closed the gap. In the past Intel reved up bus speed to continute to hold the performance crown. With the addition of ondie memory controllers, bus speed has not become as important as it was in the past with skt 478 to skt775. If running synthetic benchmarks you will see that the i7 competing proc will out perform its AMD partner, but in terms of real world performance and gaming, the two are neck and neck. If you're on a budget, go with AMD, if you don't care about cost and want the perceived gain in speed by numbers, go with Intel. Personally, I'm rockin an i7-860.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]