It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Is 8GB of RAM worth it?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 pm 
Urban L337

I was kicking around the idea of getting another 4GB of RAM when I buy BC2 but wasn't sure if it would be worth the $90 at this point. I could really kick myself for not buying 8GB when it was priced at $45 per 4GB!!!! Then it shot up to $65 about a month after I built my new rig (around last December), and now it has been $90 for about 8 months. I planned on getting another 4GB at some point anyway since I don't think I'll be switching motherboards for quite sometime. I was just curious to how much of an immediate difference an extra 4GB would make.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231145

Last edited by YourFather on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Is 8GB of RAM worth it?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm 
Urban L337

Also if this gives you a better idea, when I'm playing a game and have Chrome, xfire, Zune player etc. all open at once I'm using 85% of the memory.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:09 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

Using chrome in and of itself isn't a huge memory hog. However, every tab is a new process so how many chrome tabs would actually matter. At $90 I think another 4gb is a steal, but you'd also need to have a 64 bit OS to take advantage of anything more than ~4 gb. I can't remember if you have that or not. The more ram you have the better but I don't think it will really help that much overall playing bc2.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 pm 
]BoS[ Leader

As whiz mentioned, you need to have a 64 bit operating system to use more than 4GB of RAM.

Aside from that, keep in mind that more RAM doesn't make things load faster--it just allows you to run more stuff concurrently. You won't notice faster loading times in games, better boot up speeds, or anything like that. If you used your computer for anything art related like Photoshop or 3D modelling and rendering you would notice a difference in that you could more comfortably work with larger, more complex files. For games alone you really won't see much of an improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:27 pm 
Urban L337

Yeah I have win7 64-bit. I just remember BF2 taking up a shit-load of RAM and given the new maps will probably be the same size if not bigger with the addition of destructible environments, I figured it may suck up a lot of RAM. And if I was gonna upgrade anyway I figured I would do it now if I had the money.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]